Things you should know:
1) The Monsanto Corporation (see article, All About Monsanto) has a monopoly on GMO seeds.
2) The most famous Monsanto product is Roundup, a highly potent herbicide.
3) The second most famous Monsanto product is Roundup Ready Soybeans (another popular product is Roundup Ready corn).
4) 90% of American soy is Roundup Ready (70%, corn).
5) Roundup kills essentially everything but Roundup Ready Soybeans.
…except for a new Roundup-resistant weed!
Environmentalists have been saying it for years. Natural selection will produce a super-species. It happens all the time (the most terrifying of which, in my opinion, is super-antibiotic-resistant staphylococcus). In at least 22 states, there exist Roundup-resistant weeds.
Farmers once heavily dependent on Monsanto products are beginning to realize that Roundup (glyphosate) won’t be enough, and are now turning to more expensive inputs: new, more toxic herbicides, mechanical methods, pulling weeds by hand. This is almost certain to effect the cost of food (not that I would want to buy herbicide-soaked food to begin with).
My tip: go organic.